Saturday, September 28, 2013

Johnny Appleseed Day!

The other day was Johnny Appleseed day and we celebrated it all day long!
We started off the morning by doing an apple experiment. I cored out an apple and had the students mix  cinnamon, apple pie spice and baking soda. I mixed vinegar and green food coloring. The students took turns putting the baking soda mixture in the apple and I poured the vinegar in. The apples smelled amazing. Before we started the experiment we filled out a scientific method sheet that I found on teacherspayteachers. Apple Recipe
 After the experiment we tasted green, yellow, and red apples. The first few weeks of school we talked about bar graphs and this worksheet reinforced how to make tally marks and bar graphs.
For snack time we taste tested apple pie, apple butter, applesauce, apple juice and apple cider. 
I figured with Friday being the day after Johnny Appleseed day it was going to be hard to keep their attention. We did do work and read in the morning, but the afternoon consisted of each student decorating a canvas and melting crayons. We have been talking about melting and freezing and this was our art for the week. I attached a huge plastic tarp to my board and put duct tape on the back of the thin canvas to make it stick. I laid the crayons on a strip of tape and the put another strip of tape on top to make it stick to the tarp. The crayons did take a while to melt and I found that the sticks were a little to thick. This made it hard for the crayons to get in certain places, but the stickers were easier to peel off.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment